My name is Matty Wolin aand welcome to my photography website. I started learning photography in 2009 when I decided that it might be fun to bring a camera along on my runs while training for a marathon. I created this blog to document my journey. Since then, my passion for photography has evolved beyond just shooting landscapes on the run. I have developed a substantial portfolio of commercial work including headshots, restaurants, and portraits, in addition to gaining experience in teaching photography through private photo tours and creating informative videos for YouTube.
If you are new to this site and here to simply enjoy my photography, I recommend starting with my favorites. I ask nothing in return for your enjoyment of these images. I am extremely flattered when people tell me they enjoy my photos, and that is what inspires me to keep this blog updated. If you do wish to support my hobby, however, you can buy a print from my smugmug site.
Disclaimer: The links below will take you to Amazon.com, and I will receive commission for referral purchases. All of the items listed below have been thoroughly used by me and have received the ShutterRunner seal of approval.
- Camera Bodies:
- Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens
- Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD Aspherical Super Wide Angle Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
- Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
- AmazonBasics 50-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag - This is one of the lightest 50 inch tripods available, and while it might not hold a heavy camera, at under $20, it is a steal.
- Joby Gorillapod - Another good tripod option when you're on the run. It's super light and can support a surprising amount of weight. Just be aware that you are stuck shooting at a low perspective if you can't find anything to attach it to.
- Osprey Quasar Backpack - I highly recommend this for anyone attempting to run with their camera. It provides enough padding for your back and has two fasteners to minimize any kind of slipping. There is also a large pouch that can hold my camera.
- Adobe Lightroom 5
- Adobe PhotoShop CS6
- Nik ColorEfex Pro
As a software developer, I am proud of the solution that I have developed for this blog. While it may not look like much, this blog makes use of many open source software projects and integrates with a number of different APIs, including Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, Google Maps, SmugMug, TinyUrl, and 500px, allowing me to automatically share my work to several different photography hosting solutions and social media networks. Here are a few of the specifics without which this blog would not be possible:
- Hosting Provider: Amazon EC2
- Operating System : Amazon Linux AMI
- Primary Programming Language: PHP
- Database : MySQL
- Development Framework : CakePHP - An open source Model View Controller framework for PHP.
- Flickr API PHP Wrapper: phpFlickr
- SmugMug API PHP Wrapper: phpSmug
- 500px API PHP Wrapper: 500px-PHP by enfoqueselectivo
- Twitter API PHP Wrapper: TwitterOAuth by abraham
All images are distributed with a Creative Commons License.
Content may be used with attribution and a link to the source.